The heart and soul of the American West originates on the land. Generations of knowledge, values and beliefs are kept alive on Colorado's farms and ranches. Preserving this heritage - this history and hard-earned wisdom - is important for everyone’s future. Conservation keeps our vital connections to the land alive.
CCALT is proud to announce our Forever Colorado initiative. Colorado’s clean air, pure water and healthy lifestyle depend on the conservation of our state's remaining rural lands - the wide open spaces that keep the West beautiful and provide fertile ground for local agriculture. Our goal is to raise $5 million so we can continue working with private landowners to protect Colorado's heritage and way of life forever.
- Farmers and ranchers are stewards of more than 80% of the private land in Colorado, including river valleys, thriving wildlife habitats and prime agricultural lands.
- Since 1992, approximately three million acres of viable agricultural land have been developed for other uses in Colorado, an average of 3,000 acres lost every week for the past two decades.
- CCALT is the only land trust in Colorado established to serve farmers and ranchers exclusively. Since 1995, we have helped more than 245 families conserve 465,000 acres of land across the state.
- Colorado's essential landscapes may be timeless, but their perpetual existence is not guaranteed. As conservationists, that duty is left to us. That is our work.
- CCALT has protected more land than any other trust in Colorado and is ranked sixth in the nation in total acres conserved by a statewide or regional land trust.